Friday, January 22, 2010

pulling the plug

About two years ago I downgraded to basic cable.  Time Warner Cable, even after three phone reminders, never changed our service, although they did reduce our bill to $16.00/mo.

The kids watch mostly PBS, with Nick Jr. being used for Dora and Diego programming.  I watch Fox News about three nights per week, and my husband tapes sports games, which he then never has time to fully watch.

Last November, Paul, 6, began a passion for football and other sports.  He would sit there for a three-hour game (college football--not pros), only getting up to hop around and run through the house periodically, telling us the scores and recapping the best plays.  At first I was amused and amazed; understanding football is not easy.  Then, as Saturday after Saturday found him sitting there far too long, I knew we had a problem on our hands.

I want my children to have passions and hobbies; these are essential for all of us.  Prior to last fall, Paul hadn't developed many interests, besides math and crafts.  So part of me was happy for him.  Perhaps he would want to coach professionally some day, I surmised.  He seemed to fixate on plays and the more technical aspects of the game.

But seeing a 6 year old spend that much time inactive seemed very wrong to me.

Around the same time this began, my Mary began really watching TV, whereas before she simply "checked in" on Dora.  Seeing her staring at the TV, rather than getting involved in a myriad of other enriching activities, distressed me.

I knew we needed to make changes.  However, all my little tricks failed a good percentage of the time.  I'll spare you the various things I implemented, attempting to limit everyone's viewing.

To make a long story short, I called the cable company and told them to shut it all off.  Within three days, we'll have no reception at all, and no rabbit ears.  And this time, I will continually call them, making sure they actually DO shut it off.

One of the reasons I homeschool is to allow my children time to expand their intellects as their interests dictate.  Without reception, I think we'll make leaps and bounds in that direction.  Having cable helped me through pregnancy bedrest, the colicky baby months, the more difficult sleep deprivation months, and the initial unemployment-scare months.  If you're there, don't take this as any judgement on your life--especially if you have no extended family around.

I just knew that for me, it was time to move on.  Time to trust myself.  There was never a question about them; they would adjust beautifully, as they had in the past.  I knew that.  My own adjustment and stress level was the problem.

After I got off the phone with Time Warner, I felt such relief.

My husband was away at school while I made the call.  I waited a whole day before telling him.  Then, I walked into our bedroom, told him about my deed, and then walked out, so he could process the whole thing alone.  March Madness basketball is coming up, and I knew it would be a huge distraction, working to reduce his concentration while studying.  You're probably thinking I am hugely flawed in the area of Christian submission.  Probably true, but right now, my husband is going through a mini crisis.  I think he needs me to pick up some decision-making slack.

In my defense, I can say.......I really felt it was the Holy Spirit putting me through to the cable company.

Ten minutes after hearing the sports-less news, my husband walked up to me, hugged me, and said, "I think it was a good idea."

I was expecting a few days of irritation.  Much relief flooded me.

Then I remembered one of the reasons I married that man.

He seemed to have a teachable heart--always open to the leading of the Holy Spirit.  It was never "my way or the highway".

Remaining open to the Holy Spirit, through all stages of life, really saves the Christian from self-inflicted angst.  My husband continually models this for the rest of us--making him a good leader.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We only have about 5 or 6 channels and watch very little television. I know that is a very good thing!

My husband has just lost his evening job, though, so I have a feeling our tv will be on in the evenings again. He enjoys it to help him relax.

I am sorry your husband is going through such a hard time. I sure understand the stress that can bring to a home. Fortunately, when one spouse is weak, the other tends to be stronger. We have had many of those times in our marriage and also times where we were just both too weak to handle the struggle. Those times are very, very hard.

Again, sorry about the number that displays instead of my name on your comments page. Terribly embarrassing, but it is a TypePad glitch that they appear not to be in a great hurry to repair. On some other Blogger blogs, I can simply sign in under Name/URL and I don't have that problem, but I don't see that listed as an option on yours.

Love to you, Christine! Praying for you here.

Terri Tiffany said...

I think what you did is awesome! And Hurray to your husband for being so understanding--you want what's best for your family and that is a choice you made to do it. I never allowed my daughter to watch TV during the week and she never really minded--we played ball, did crafts and interacted and she loved it.
I will be praying for your husband too. I know going to school is stressful for them. Trust me-- I know!LOL mine still worries about his age.:)

Nutmeg said...

We pulled the plug while my husband was deployed. He didn't have TV there, so he wasn't missing much when he came home. My reasons were a bit different (in addition to the factor of it just not being edifying, it was scaring me to watch the news w/ him away), we have never regretted our decision.
Amy