Saturday, January 2, 2010

some resolutions

Happy New Year!

I've tried a few times to write a post lately, but interruptions abound.  I'll try again now, with some New Year's Resolutions.

I've been dwelling a lot lately on the concept of focus.  It's hard to describe the difficulty I have with this!  Mothering a one year old is just plain hard!  Loaded with blessing, of course, but hard too.  Add a three year old to the mix, and another child with ADHD, and life becomes a whirlwind, spinning Momma hither and yon.  The sudden smelly diaper, a spontaneous spill, the dreaded dryer buzzer, the request for a drink, a snack, a bottle of glue.......the list goes on.  Why did I come down the hall?  Something needed fetching...what was it again?  A roll of papertowels?  A lightbulb?  A washcloth?  What was it, for heaven's sake?

Sound familiar, Mommas?  Sometimes I wonder if I, too, have ADHD.  Then I reject that notion, concluding instead that it's the season of life I'm in.  And also the fact that introspective people often get sidetracked; I definitely fall into the introspective category.

Whatever the reason, I need to conquer this lack of focus.  Legacy-leaving parenting is intentional, not drifting.  My Raising Godly Tomatoes goals, my Scripture memorizing goals, and other goals, depend on focus.

A crazy solution popped into my head this morning, following a few weeks of prayer.  An apron!  Yes...a pocketed apron.

I will wear it to carry:

-  Token behavior system dollars, which work so well with Peter's ADHD, WHEN I remember to give them out right away.  Carrying them with me will help enormously.

- Scripture verses, written on index cards.  They will redirect me when I feel overwhelmed or angry.

- Math flash cards, which work best when used VERY often, for short periods.

- Stop watch, to time my three year old's potty trips.  Otherwise, I forget to take her; she still lacks internal incentive.  I'll change fewer diapers anyway, if I take her more often.

- A note pad, to record things we need at the store.  I used to remember everything we lacked, without fail.  Not so anymore; insufficient sleep affects my memory.

I'll probably think of other uses for the apron, but that's it for now.

New Year's Resolutions

1Trust God more

James 1:6 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.  Parenting is a heavy burden; the stakes are high.  But how my children turn out depends so little on me.  If I pray for help with problematic issues, I have to then lay the issues at the Lord's feet, and trust Him...letting him raise the children through me.

2.  Be quiet

James 1:19  My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.  I will be a better mother and wife if I remember this!  Two of my children have affirming words as their love language, and they especially, need me to exercise restraint with the tongue--spewing only kind words, constructive words.

3.  Ask for wisdom more often--this is tied to number 1.

James 1:5  If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  As soon as I begin to stress about an issue, I need to take it to the Lord.  I made some progress with this in the last few months, and that progress needs to continue.  My flesh wants to ruminate for a while, and then take it to the Lord.

4.  Be steadfast

James 1:12  Blessed are those who presevere under trial, because when they have stood the test, they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.  As a perfectionist, I often live with an all or nothing mentality.  If I can't do something as well as I want, I don't do it at all.  I lack steadfastness, due to frustration.  With this Scripture under my belt--and in my apron--I can redirect my perfectionist tendencies and remember to stay on the path.

5.  Learn about the writing industry; practice writing queries, and meeting fake deadlines. As soon as Anna is sleeping through the night, and I am guaranteed some regular, restorative sleep, I need to attempt to earn some money, hopefully from writing articles. 

6.  Move aerobically regularly; lift weights   As an older mom, I can't neglect this, if I want to see my granchildren.  Even if it's just jumping rope for twenty minutes, or dancing; I need to exercise.  I bought an exercise video, but doing it requires uninterrupted time. If this endeavor is important to God, he will provide uninterrupted time this winter.  Other seasons provide more opportunity to exercise with my children.

That's it for this year.  How are your resolutions shaping up?

1 comment:

Sandi said...

The apron idea is great.

Good for you for processing through all this.

Definitely thinking about things here but not much time to write :o)