Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dr. Doolittle and my grocery list

Made me smile today:

*  Tonight we finished The Story of Doctor Dolittle, by Hugh Lofting (1920).  It is by far one of the best children's books ever written (there are eleven others in the series).  So imaginative!  Mr. Lofting wrote it to his children while he was away during World War I. Reality was too difficult to include in his letters, so he delighted them with this tale.

Now that we've finished it, I feel like a friend has moved away.  Peter agrees with me and says we absolutely must find the others at the library.

Born in England in 1886, Hugh Lofting settled in the United States in 1912, and passed away in Topanga, California, in 1947.

* My boys always have requests for me when it's grocery store time.  I found their list on the fridge, compiled mostly by my older son, who loves to cook.  We found a bread maker at a rummage sale, so the first two items are needed for our first loaf, which they are very excited about!

yest
dri melk
lemonad
sosig (turkey sausage)
syorup (syrup)
black bens
appolsos
letis and coliflower
gume vitimins
cucuber
iec crem
sqosh
putatos
popcorn
get sand for sandbox

I came across a review today of one of Sally Clarkson's books, The Ministry of Motherhood.  I'll be checking our library for that one.  Here is Sally's Clarkson's site, which always includes wonderful, insightful blog posts.

Good night, friends!  I'm off to fold three mountains of laundry.  For real.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

That's one of our favorite books too. Haven't read it in about 2 years...time t oget it out again.

Love the list. So sweet.