Wednesday, May 12, 2010

on herding children and my peace

Blogging punctuates my day.  The data my mind collects in a twenty-four hour period begs for reflection and analysis.  I separate the positive from the negative, discerning how best to spend my energies going forward.  I'm left with warm fuzzy feelings most of the time, and I fall asleep faster.  The reflection helps me focus on our progress as a spiritual family, rather than on how far we have to go.  When I can't blog the day feels untidy--too many loose ends.

Tonight was the awards ceremony for AWANA.  Getting all four children and myself ready--including feeding everyone--stole my peace, to say the least (Daddy was working).  Beth spit up on both our outfits (mommy's and baby's) five minutes before our friend was due to pick us up.  Can you relate to the tension of those final moments?

Following the getting ready ordeal, I  wrestled with my toddler for two hours in the foyer of the church!

Here is my plug for AWANA before I continue.  I'm so proud of my boys!  AWANA is a wonderful program--a real blessing for our whole family.  It entails Scripture memorization, cooperative P.E. games, a Bible lesson and a related craft.  Next year, Mary will attend AWANA cubbies, which is for ages 3 to kinder.  We're all excited for her!

Even if your own church doesn't have this program, you might find it at a neighboring church.  The program format is standard across the country, and the world.

Now, upon our return it was 8:15 p.m.  Time to get the excited children into pajamas and on to hygiene.  They were more interested in their AWANA awards than in getting into bed.  And who can blame them?  What's more,  I chose this day to change their sheets!  Two beds had to be made before slumber time.  I know.  Bad planning.  Surely, I told myself, the sheets would get washed and dried and put back on beds before AWANA time.  Surely.

Not!  Washed and dried only.

If I had to choose a punctuation mark summarizing this day, it would be an exclamation point!  The emotional exhaustion rarely reaches this level for me.  Herding children is my least favorite part of parenting.  Thank God we homeschool!  Herding children five mornings a week would be the end of me.  When I'm herding them with a time constraint, I'm too busy to disciple them.  

It's amazing how much easier our days are when we stay home.  Hurray for home!  Home is where the peace is!  As wonderful as AWANA is, I'm looking forward to more peaceful Wednesdays evenings from now until Labor Day.  We do no other evening events.

Now that my day is properly punctuated, I'll force myself to do the few dishes from dinner (we had homemake chicken noodle soup--winter returned here), but all else will wait until tomorrow.  The kids always give me a funny look when they wake up to a messy house.  Almost as if they're saying, "What did you do last night, other than tidy up?"

Those looks are usually incentive for me to tidy up before bed.....but not tonight.

Goodnight, friends!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

I came to comment on your Godly Wife post but it isn't here??? Weird...it is in my reader but not your blog.

I was wondering if you have anyone in real life to share this struggle with. I had to chuckle when you said that everyone says their husbands are wonderful in blogland. Every body goes thorugh times in their marriage. And I do think on some level there can be a Titus 2 aversion to admitting it. That somehow you are less then if you struggle in marriage at times

I know I don't share much on line becasue my husband is very private as am I for that matter. And we have dear friends we can talk through things with.

I think sometimes men need someone else to point out struggle areas for them. That's why outside relationship is crucial becasue we always have blind spots

And as for safety it's about 50-50 here. We both are safer about certian things then others.

Big "hug" coming your way!

Christine said...

Thank you, Sandi. Good advice. I deleted the post earlier today, so I am surprised it showed up in the reader. It wasn't appropriate for cyber space, and yes, we do need someone to talk to in our area. The grandparent relationship would be the best. That man is blind and his wife has to do a lot for him, so they might be able to shed some light. Also, our pastor is meeting with my husband. They had an introductory meeting only so far.

With no babysitter, we would have to talk separately with the couple.

I need to see my husband as Jesus sees him. Simple as that.

I took my eyes off of the Lord, and felt like I was sinking into the water. Things are overwhelming right now, with the temporary job ending soon, and me wondering how long this period of our lives is going to last.

Anyhow, I will make an appointment with Eleanor. Thank you for the suggestion!