Saturday, June 5, 2010

Rest Well, Momma

Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord guards the city, the guard keeps watch in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives sleep to his beloved. (Psalm 127:1-2)



It rained buckets today.  This was taken last weekend--no blue skies since.  We hope the pepper and tomato plants survive the flood.

We are trying so hard to raise these kids!  There are days, like today, when every ounce of me has been poured out.  Come bathtime, I am empty.  The emotional fatigue hit a new high lately; my baby has been the worst sleeper for the last two weeks.  Two incisor teeth are coming in, with the other two fast on their heals.  When the active toddler in your midst suddenly stops sleeping, life feels like a marathon, no matter how blessed you are in every moment.

And bedtime prep, at which time Mommy is empty?  It brings some of the most annoying behavior.  Like the bathroom floor getting soaked by splashes, yet again.  Like the baby who flails in anger while I wrestle her out of the tub and into a diaper.  Like the boys who giggle, waste time, misplace the pajamas they brought out, beg for snacks and drinks, wrestle at inopportune moments.  

If I were a good parent, I would crack jokes, make light, play footsie games, during all these escapades.  Just my good cheer would distract them from their naughtiness.  But a good parent I am not.  Past 6:30 p.m.  I don't know what humor is when I walk into a soaked bathroom at 6:45 p.m.

Thank God for storytime: I am good at that.

"Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain."  Somehow the children get tucked in feeling loved and nurtured, eighty percent of the time, despite my emptiness.  When I really think about that, it is amazing.  So often God takes over and I don't even realize it, until I have a moment to acknowledge my emptiness.  

All four children woke up after tuck-in time tonight.  At different times.  Just as I was beginning to unwind, again.

I did not come unglued, though I was raging inside.  


Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:28-31)




So beautiful they are!  My blessings.  When looking at photos, one can scarcely imagine how much hard work these sweeties are.  Someday I'll be sitting in an easy chair at 6:45 p.m.   Dishes done.  House clean.   Laundry folded and put away.  I'll be ready to enjoy a novel, or look at family photos. 


Staring at the photos then, I won't remember the hard work that preceded and followed each frame.  I'll just remember my delight at being their Momma.  And I'll wish they were back under my roof, taking up all my time and energy.




Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11: 28-31)







The Geo Trac is making a comeback recently.  They created this today, all cooperative and sweet like with each other.  Have to capture these moments, when their togetherness, their siblingness, blesses them more than they realize.




It was horribly humid, so I said yes to the sprinkler, even though the temperature was in the mid-seventies.  They promptly got a torrential downpour from God, so they turned off the sprinkler.  They are shivering in this pic. The three drippies, I called them.  Totally soaked.




Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. (John 15:4-5,7,10)





She rarely plays with dolls, though here she is carrying baby in a sling.


Every Saturday night is pancake night.  Pancakes are a piece of heaven, don't you know.  They're made from scratch, mostly by the eight-year-old chef, who has practically memorized the recipe.  It amazes me how just the routine of certain meals on certain nights lends joy and order and anticipation to a child's life. 


Well Lord, I am blessed.  Poured out.  Tired out.  Not understanding your plan, what with the ADHD for son and husband, and the financial stress that never ends.  But nevertheless, I say I am blessed.  And I am.  Even though things remain undone tonight, I will choose sleep.  And I will rest well, knowing you are Sovereign.

No comments: