Monday, June 14, 2010

dad's day

I never love my man more than when he's reading to the children.  It always makes my heart whisper to my Lord, "Thank you, God, for a good man."

Bible verses about fathers, in honor of Father's Day.


And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a decree of utter destruction.” [Malachi 4:6 ESV]


My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the LORD reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights. [Proverbs 3:11-12 ESV]


Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. [Ephesians 6:4 ESV]



The righteous who walks in his integrity– blessed are his children after him! [Proverbs 20:7 ESV]



When Father Reads the Book – By G.E. Foster
When we hurry off to work,
I’m reminded of those early times
When father read the Book.
When father read the Book
As we each our places took
Round the dear old family altar
When father read the Book
O those dear old Bible stories,
Psalms that flowed like rippling brook;
Warnings, promises, and precepts
Lived, as father read the Book.
As father read the Book.
Satan’s kingdom round us shook,
And our savior early claimed us
Because father read the Book.
O they say it was old-fashioned,
And what waste of time ‘twould look
To now take half-an-hour
To let father read the Book,
But as father read the Book,
Blessed thought in our minds stuck;
And the day went so much better
Just ’cause father read the Book.
Oft I’m troubled as I journey
On toward heav’n with upward look,
To see families all about me
Grow up without father’s Book
Let father read the Book;
Your home will be so different
If your father reads the Book.


I found the poem and verses here.


In the photo they are actually reading Backyard Detective, Critters Up Close, by Nic Bishop.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Love the picture! I've been reading just too spent to articulate much comment :o)

Christine said...

Hi Sandy! This blog is such a personal journal that I don't ever expect anyone to comment. When you do, I always appreciate it, but don't ever feel obligated. Hope you had a good weekend!