Monday, June 6, 2011

thanksgiving utterances

Psalms 140:1 - "Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence." 

My Gratitude List

I am thankful for...

...only two mice taking up residence in my home.  That chapter of our lives is over, thankfully.  I can again dwell in peace here.  I don't think I'm exaggerating in saying that if there had been a colony, a nervous breakdown was a surety--mine, not the critters'.

...a fudge recipe gone wrong.  It didn't set, so we used it as fudge sauce for vanilla bean ice cream, and as a dipping sauce for strawberries. Hmm, good.

...boys hard at work, preparing the soil for planting.

...girls running after butterflies.

...the seven year old teaching himself cursive.

...a newly consistent prayer life.

..a Titus 2 woman I e-mail semi-regularly now.  She's nearing 65 and has been a missionary in Africa for 30 years. They are on break in Florida, helping her husband's aging parents.  What a blessing she is!

...the novel A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's Journal 1830-32.  I love novels put together from journal entries. (John Newberry Medal, 1980)

...a second car, finally.  It's at the mechanics to have the headlights adjusted, but soon the children and I will be free to commute to some select activities.  I abhor busyness--running children here and there because the culture dictates it--but impromptu trips to the library would be perfect for us!  Not to mention trips to the park, to take in the beauty of His hand.

...morning cuddles in the big bed with all four children.  Oh, how it does a Momma good!

...the sweet sound of boys reading Psalms.

...a husband who still kisses me goodbye intentionally, twelve years into marriage.

...baby robins and starlings out of nests, Momma and Poppa still close by, feeding, encouraging, nurturing.

...my two year old finishing her nap in my arms.  Her smell, her delicate skin, long lashes, silky hair, lovely sleeping lips.......I enjoyed. every. minute.

...Peter reading for a couple hours a day from a garden book I picked up at a thrift store....dreaming of enchanting gardens.  He planted three pots of cuttings using a technique he learned from the book.  Seeing him so engaged in God's world makes me swoon with happiness.  I only wish we had a gardening budget.  The boy has big, costly plans!

No comments: