Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Path

Beth celebrated her first birthday yesterday!  Mary celebrates her third birthday on Monday.  I haven't had time to sit down and do birthday posts yet.  I hope to in the next few days.

My last post is more confusing than anything else.  I didn't really have time to blog, but some thoughts were swirling through that I felt like recording.

What I meant to convey was something like this:  The life of the Christian is a walk with God.  The very reason we were put here, on this earth, is to walk with Him.  As we walk together, he gets the fellowship he desires and the glory he craves.  This seems so simple...we don't want to truly believe it.  But it's true.  We were put here only to walk with God.

How much peace and joy we get out of that walk (our life) depends on how unwavering our focus is.  When I keep my daily focus on God and on the tasks he's given me, I experience the best He has to offer.

If I spend energy worrying about my husband's school work, job, job hunt, etc., I'm not focusing on God, or on what he's given me to do.

Matthew 6:31-33 tells me, "So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

The part in bold is so easily forgotten.  We like to focus on what we're going to get, rather than on our given task. I have repeated this verse in my mind countless times over the years, but it's only now that I'm really seeing my task, as given here by the Lord.

How exactly do we seek his Kingdom and his righteousness?  Isn't that kind of vague?

It was vague for me, even though I've heard lots of sermons on the idea, and I've given it a lot of thought.

Nothing in my life is really going well right now.  Yes, I have faith and hope, and even a good bit of contentment--I always have those.  But everything else is a mess.

I believe he's taken me to this point--in which nothing is going well--to force me to focus.  Having focus means that when I get up in the morning, I just see the path.  And Him.  Everything else gets filtered out.

The path that we walk with him leads to the Kingdom and the righteousness.

All other paths lead to nowhere.







No comments: