Wednesday, December 2, 2009

daily blessings - Wednesday

The fabulous four (fabulously rambunctious) are tucked into bed, safe and sound.  My husband just left for one of his part-time jobs.  Time to relax and count some blessings.

- Mary running around the playroom, acting out The Gingerbread Man, as I read it this evening.  The boys were at church for Christmas play practice, kids' choir, and AWANA, so it was just the ladies for storytime.

-  Beth, nearly twelve months old, beside herself with giggles, every time I said, "Run, run, fast as you can!  You can't catch me!  I'm the gingerbread man!"  She got so excited over the story that she started running after Mary.  This week is the first time we've seen her run.  She's been walking well since 9.5 months, so I knew this was coming.  Cute, but nerve wracking, too.

- Peter, giving me a kiss on my cheek, and saying, "Thank you for teaching me," as I looked over his English paper about command, telling, exclamation, and questioning sentences.  Yeah, homeschooling is a hassle sometimes, but more often, it is a huge blessing.  Huge.

- Mary, praying at every meal, after Daddy or Momma have already prayed.  She goes on and on thanking God for all the people she loves.  The boys can't wait, and after she names the sixth person or so, they give up and start eating--although they're amused.  Momma and Daddy are mesmerized by her sweetness, so we listen for as long as she goes on.  And we look into each other's eyes, wondering how we got so blessed with our little Mary.

- Beth, nursing at naptime this morning, while making these sweet sounds, as though she wanted to converse, but was too tired and too relaxed by the milk.

- Beth, mostly asleep this afternoon, and reaching out to touch my shirt, to make sure I was still there.

- My husband working nights (it has disadvantages too), and home most days, so I can take my time and enjoy Beth during her two naps.   The bulk of my prayer time occurs in the first thirty minutes of her naps. There's a whole lot to pray about, and her schedule gives me the quiet time I need.  My husband, although he's usually studying, doesn't complain about my absence, and checks that the boys are doing their assignments.

- Pumpkin pie

- Pumpkin soup

- Folding socks and finding no strays

- Being almost frightened by the size of Peter's pants, as I hung them today.  How did my baby grow to be THAT big?  Surely those pants don't belong in MY house?  And then I took a deep breath, remembering that God has a plan for my empty-nest years.  He won't let them be all about a longing for the past.   So I think Peter will continue to get larger pants, as needed.  I'll allow it.

- The feel of Paul's soft cheek, as I cuddled with him this morning.  He's never lost his baby face, or his baby-soft skin.  He isn't the incessant talker that his ADHD brother is.  We never have long or very detailed conversations.  But his hugs speak volumes to me, and mine to him.  His brother needs my conversation, and he needs my loving arms.

- Beth, smiling so wide, and running into my arms, every time I sit down on the floor.  She loves to wrestle and have her neck nuzzled.

- Beth, carefully touching each of my front teeth, and studying them with the seriousness of a dentist.  She's my only baby who's had this weird dental interest.

4 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

Some beautiful reasons to be thankful. You make me wonder why I didn't slow down more when my child was younger and really see the magic in each of her moments with me. I'm so afraid she is rushing through her life too and my grandson will be rushed ahead as well.
Make sure someday you get your blog printed off so your children can read you wonderful words and thoughts about them:)

Anonymous said...

I really love your posts. You do a great job focusing on the wonderful details of life!

Sandi said...

Enjoyed reading this.

Much to be thankful for.

Thanks for praying for us too. We may have the computer problem solved in a few days. :o)

I also love the new look of the blog....great blue!

Katherine said...

Its so good you are savoring these moments, Christine.