Tuesday, December 22, 2009

musings and updates

My Beth didn't cough as frequently after 2 a.m., thankfully.  She won't be needing to see her doctor for now. Daytime finds her energetic and mostly happy, wanting to climb on virtually everything in sight.  Over the phone her doctor indicated that colds can last three weeks, without complications.

First-time obedience training continues around here, modeled loosely after the Raising Godly Tomatoes website.  Staying focused on that awesome task takes a good deal of discipline on my part.  I had to stop myself mid-sentence today, while standing at the dryer, folding clothes.  It was my custom to give directions from whatever room my chores dictated.  I refrained today, and finished folding quickly, before going back to the children and giving directions.

They are doing well for the most part; arguing has lessened considerably already.  However, when my mind gets to wandering during the day, I'll fail to notice--until after the fact--that someone has slipped in a complaint before complying.  Definitely, my focus is essential and determines how quickly things turn around, eventually allowing me to enjoy my children ALL THE TIME.

Many different scenarios swirl around my head for solutions to the laundry problem (it takes up A LOT of my time).  Is there a way to manage it so that our day is not interrupted as frequently?  I've concluded the answer is no, for now.  Keeping up is essential--it will remain a disruption until the older children can wash and process their own loads ( within two years).

As I work on reforming my parenting, the issue of television comes up in my mind frequently.  We have taken TV away from the children several times over the years.  My most visual child, Paul, finds this difficult for a few days, but then adjusts accordingly.  Each time we've done it, however, something has come up, stretching us as parents and leading to television's return (morning sickness, initial job loss and accompanying fear, colicky babies, chronic migraines).  I simply hate the television, because it dumbs down my parenting, as well as their intellects.  Okay, PBS has two math/science programs that really help my boys (CyberChase, Fetch), but the number of repeated shows makes for some wasted time.

Increasingly, I want to sell the TV and just work out the accompanying issues, but my husband won't go for it--college sports are a big draw, even though he usually tapes the games and then never finds time to watch them.  He's under a lot of stress, so now isn't the time to talk about it.

Breaking down the television issue further, I see it's a matter of low expectations on my part.  I assume that without the couple hours of TV they get (1 hour morning, 1 hour afternoon), they would be rambunctious and bored, often getting into wrestling matches and requiring frequent discipline.  There's some truth to this, but using an exercise video, I hope to give them a daily movement class.  Winter temperatures complicate the need-to-move issue here in Ohio, especially for families who lack funds for gym memberships and sports programs.

Every parent has a different situation at home in terms of child spacing, and the level of support enjoyed from family and friends.  In days past, support was more of a given; moms and dads had opportunities to recharge that simply don't exist now.  If your kids watch two hours of TV, or four hours, I'm not judging you.  I've been there without support and my chronic migraines have made for some interesting days.

I record my thoughts on television here only to work toward a solution or schedule, so that it soon becomes a very small part of their lives.  I'm not there yet--just evaluating and reevaluating for now.  The main thing is that I teach them to use their time wisely, for godly, healthy pursuits.

1 comment:

Terri Tiffany said...

Just popping over to wish you a Merry Christmas!! I know you and your family will have a great one!