Sunday, December 6, 2009

peanut butter blossoms - a diversion

The children and I baked this evening, making a huge mess in the process.  After they were tucked in and asleep, I started washing pans and bowls, while listening to some news.  What a disturbing news weekend!  As the details of the Knox murder case were discussed, I began to feel fear about being in the house without my husband (he left at 8:30 p.m. for a part-time job).  The senseless violence involved in that case is so frightening!

I lived alone for a long time in California as a single school teacher, and I never had a problem with fear.  Of course, I never read or watched anything disturbing, either.  Feeling spooked is no fun.

Wanting to divert my mind, I turned off the news and put the clean-up on hold.  I'm going to pass some time telling you about our cute little cookies--our cute little delicious cookies (peanut butter blossoms).

Baking with children is one of my favorite activities.  I just love being one with them in the kitchen! I love that we all contribute.  I love that they learn in the process.  I love that their moods elevate immediately, upon hearing that we're going to bake, or make applesauce or soup.  And I love their eager faces as I hand over the mixer utensils to be licked (I know--it's potentially unhealthy because of the raw eggs--but how fun!).

And finally, when the cookies come out of the oven, I love that it feels like a party around here!  Kids just have a way of living that tickles my fancy.  Life is a celebration!  Live it up!  Eat dessert first!

Not a bad motto, I must say.

There was an added bonus for the kids with these peanut butter blossoms.  They unwrapped the Hershey's kisses for me first thing.  While they worked, I announced that they could eat the leftover kisses.  What joy ensued!

Without further ado, here is a recipe for peanut butter blossoms.  They look almost too cute to eat!  A perfect cookie to give away for the holidays!  They're oh so delicious--or delectable, as Mary would say!

Peanut Butter Blossoms

Ingredients
48 Hershey's kisses
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter, 1/2 c)
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Remove wrappers from chocolates. (Don't make the same mistake I did, and get into the chocolates before baking day!)

2.  Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended.  Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy.  Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well.  Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.

3.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls.  Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.

4.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Immediately press a chocolate into the center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges.  Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.  Cool completely.  Makes about 4 dozen.

(taken from Hersheys.com)

2 comments:

Margie said...

Ohhhhh, I must try these! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Terri Tiffany said...

I used to make these or something like them with my daughter. MMM good:) We had many good memories of baking and she still does it now with her son!