Monday, December 21, 2009

Beth

My Beth had a sinus infection in October, following influenza.  This surprised me, as none of my other babies had any bacterial infections.  However, they never suffered from influenza either; secondary infections are common with flu.

She now has symptoms of another sinus infection, this time following a common cold.  I am perplexed.  Her iron level went up to normal in October, and it should be even higher now.  She takes in a lot of breast milk in a twenty-four-hour period, so she should be fighting infections better than this.

I hate for him to put her on another antibiotic, but the symptoms are unmistakable, and neglecting a sinus problem is dangerous (there could be brain involvement when left untreated).  Hopefully, he isn't on vacation tomorrow.

Doing some reading tonight, I learned that in order to prevent sinus problems, children should sit in a steamy bathroom twice a day for fifteen minutes each, followed by nose suctioning or blowing.  I will certainly be doing that from now on, when she gets colds. I'm even thinking of buying a steam vaporizer, to replace the cool mist humidifier I have in her room.  In the past I worried about burns with these machines, but they are better for preventing sinus problems.

She didn't let me sleep much last night, and unfortunately tonight isn't looking good either.  Posting might be sporadic until she gets better.

I'll probably be back here before Christmas, but just in case, I wanted to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas!  It has been a pleasure getting to know some of you this year, and sharing this mothering journey with you! May God bless you in your mothering, and in your marriages.

Love,
Christine

No comments: