Sunday, December 13, 2009

She's One!

So.  My last baby turned one last week.  Bittersweet it is, like my favorite cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving day.  Since my sweet Beth's birthday, I've felt like punching my husband, multiple times, for having that vasectomy (private feelings--I never bring it up around here).  He's as eager to say goodbye to these baby years, as I am to prolong them.

Oh, I know what you're saying--"Get over it already.  You two are ancient, for heaven's sake!  And poor! And besides, remember those medical stockings you complained about constantly during your pregnancy?"

I know.  You're right.  I know you are.  But still....there's this ache...this desire, this yearning, for babies.  It's beyond my comprehension.

It has taken me a week to sit down here and write this post.  In finally writing it, I'm trying to come to terms with what her birthday means.

Based on The Important Book, by Margaret Wise Brown

The important thing about Beth is that she's usually smiling.
It's true that she's petite,
And that she has three rambunctious siblings,
And that she loves to stand up in her highchair.
But the important thing about Beth, is that she's usually smiling.

The important thing about Beth is that she loves to night nurse.
It's true that she loves to explore,
And that she still loves Cheerios,
And that she loves to study Momma's teeth.
But the important thing about Beth is that she loves to night nurse.

The important thing about Beth is that she loves her sister Mary.
It's true that she sneaks into the can cupboard,
And that she loves it when we forget the safety gate,
And that she took steps at 8.5 months.
But the important thing about Beth is that she loves her sister Mary.

The important thing about Beth is that she reaches for Momma in the night.
It's true that she wakes Momma up with a grin,
And that she wriggles terribly during changes,
And that she has four teeth.
But the important thing about Beth is that she reaches for Momma in the night.

The important thing about Beth is that she loves spontaneous hugs.
It's true that she has natural curls,
And that she thinks life with siblings is a party,
And that she loves Momma's baked ziti.
But the important thing about Beth is that she loves spontaneous hugs.

The important thing about Beth is that she loves to carry around books.
It's true that she loves her mac n' cheese,
And that she sucks on Clementine oranges,
And that she's getting her share of forehead bumps,
But the important thing about Beth is that she loves to carry around books.

The important thing about Beth is that she's the essence of sweetness.
It's true that she's always on the move,
And that she likes to take car rides,
And that she loves to carry around empty milk jugs.
But the important thing about Beth is that she's the essence of sweetness.

The important thing about Beth is that her Momma loves her so!
It's true that she loves the "Fish Alive" song,
And that she stops crying for Jesus songs,
And that she sleeps in a queen bed.
But the important thing about Beth is that her Momma loves her so!

Happy First Birthday, My Love!  You bring joy, joy, joy to my soul!

5 comments:

SueH said...

Beautifully written! What a sweet baby girl you have! Sometimes I wonder why we decided 2 boys were enough. But I feel in my heart that if we are ment to have more children they will come to us in a different way. There are plenty of children in this country and in others that need a loving, stable home.

Have a nice week and stay warm!

SueH said...

Sorry, the above post is from me, Sue from MI, I must have accidently changed my user name when I forgot my password.

Evenspor said...

Aww, that was beautiful.

Chin up, someday there will be grandbabies. ;)

Did you get my e-mail about the software review? Just wondering.

Christine said...

Hi Arwen,

Yes, I sent a reply back the same day you sent that e-mail. I'm afraid I'm too busy with the kids to do a software review. Wish I could help!

Thank you for asking, anyway!

Nutmeg said...

That was just beautiful! What a little blessing you have there, mama! {{HUGS}} to you
Amy