Wednesday, December 9, 2009

counting my blessings - Wednesday

- Chili with cornbread on a stormy evening

- Clementine oranges for a side dish--I think I actually ate four of those today!  Don't ask me how many cookies I've eaten since we started our cookie gift venture.

- My Beth, running toward me with her sweet giggle, and knocking me over with her hug

- My Mary's blond curls, looking different every day

- My boys, giddy with excitement while decorating the sugar cookies they rolled out and pressed themselves. (Yes, in case you were wondering....it was a huge mess.  I had just mopped the floor that morning. )

- My Mary, having a fabulous time in the bath with measuring cups and spoons

- My husband, never failing to kiss me goodbye.

- My Peter, writing up a storm in his journal today.  We put him back on his ADHD medicine yesterday. His school work had deteriorated in the last month, due to lack of focus.  He's gone two days without needing much discipline.  A blessing for Peter, and for the rest of the family!  I'm praying the anxiety doesn't worsen again.

- Singing Beth's favorite song, and watching her try to put up her little finger--"1,2,3,4,5,  Once I caught a fish alive; 6,7,8,9,10, Then I let him go again.  Why did you let him go?  Because he bit my finger so.  Which finger did he bite?  This little finger on the right."

- Beth's problem solving skills--Folding towels next to the dryer, I watched her attempt to get into a kitchen drawer by using a toy bin as a stool.  At 12 months! Okay, maybe that's pretty normal?  Anyway, I love watching my children solve problems!  The toy bin kept moving, so she ended up in tears over the frustration.   Yes, it was kind of dangerous--I should have stopped her immediately and I'll be sorry I didn't.  In a few days, she'll probably figure out exactly what bin will do the trick.

- My Paul, developing a love for college sports.  This is more of a blessing for my husband.  He now has a partner for Saturday college football.  It amazes me how much Paul has learned about the game, without any lessons from us.  Football is pretty complicated!

- Cuddling with each child briefly at bedtime....smelling their freshly shampooed hair.

- Watching my boys make elaborate desserts with their Playdoh (pretending they owned a bakery).

- Other Mommy blogs, to remind me of how hard this job is, and how blessed I am to have it.

- Hearing the fierce wind battle the trees and windows, and knowing I'm safe and warm inside.

- The French Vanilla cocoa I'm about to make.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I laughed about the clementines! They've been my go-to snack lately, too. Easy and good and healthy and fast. Fast is important around here with 4 little ones! :-) ((Hugs.))