Tuesday, April 13, 2010

a new habit

You know that new-believer love of all things Bible?  That giddiness?  Those countless hours you easily spent pouring over Scripture?

They pass away, don't they?

Yes, what was once like chocolate, becomes like broccoli without cheesesauce (at times).

Discipline becomes a requirement once the giddiness subsides--especially for exhausted parents of littles.

If you're like me and you're not so disciplined, well......then you can plan on faltering.

I did.

I don't know where you are in terms of years saved, but I want to share with you how I've gotten over this hump.

Through some sort of revelation, maybe divine, I've learned to embed the devotions into daily tasks--tasks that must occur every day, regardless of how I feel. Think eating, showering, laundry, bathing kids.  The specific one that works for me?  Eating time.

In contrast, when I tried to put devotions in the early morning or at night, temptations abounded.  I would roll over and go back to sleep, telling myself I would surely make time later.  Or I would fold that load of clothes and clean up that floor, telling myself the next day would be less stressful if those things got done while the kids slept.  Or I would blog and do bills and dishes, only to fall asleep when I finally got to my Bible.

Sound familiar?

Forget those ways!  If they haven't worked by now, they aren't going to.  For you.

Try something new.

At first you need some sort of reminder, such as routinely leaving your Bible on your dining room table chair, or in your bathroom (if you read while kiddos bathe), or on your clothes dryer (if you read a chapter each time you shuffle laundry).

About twenty-one days later (or so), you won't need the visual reminder anymore.  You've given birth to a habit.

As I'm setting the table, I do a mental check to ensure I've included everything--salt, pepper, napkins, milk, glasses, serving spoons, etc., so that I'm not acting out a cranky-waitress role.  All moms have played that role at mealtimes, I'm sure.

Someone does prayer, then the whole family starts eating, except for me.  After covering my food with foil, I commence reading Scripture, stopping to discuss concepts when necessary.  Husband usually leads the discussion, since he's had five years of intense Bible College.  Boy, does that come in handy!  Don't rely on me to come up with obscure historical facts and cultural notes.

Since the family is busy eating, the event is mostly free of interruptions.  Unless of course you have an incessantly-talking ADHD child, in which case you can be assured of questions and comments.
_________

"Why are you skipping those adultery chapters in Proverbs?"  (He overhead me discussing it briefly with husband.)

"Well, um.  We've decided to read them to you before you get married."

Several days later, while we're still in Proverbs:

"What if we get married and you forget to read the adulteress chapters to us?  What will happen to us?"  (Remember, he has an anxiety disorder too.)

"Well, Peter.  I'm sure you'll remind me.  No worries.  Can I continue?"
__________

I can't say I'm as giddy as a new believer after developing this habit.  But my time in Scripture is now anything but a chore.  I thoroughly enjoy it!

The same thing works for prayer.  I pray while nursing my baby, and while I shower, and when I'm driving alone (which is usually just to the grocery store and back).  Remember that ADHD child?  He ensures there's no prayer time when he's in the car.  When the family is along, driving means answering questions.  I sound sarcastic, but really, I know I'm blessed to have a carload of littles along with me!

Happy reading.  And praying!  Enjoy that chocolate, or at least that cheesesauce!

1 comment:

Evenspor said...

I saw a video where the speaker was talking about how young children want to do everything their parents do. She conjectured that even more important than reading to kids is reading in front of kids. That way they see reading as a "grown-up" occupation and want to imitate.

That's when it hit me that I should be reading my scriptures in front of the kids too, so they can see that as something important and desirable too. (And maybe spend a little less time on the computer in front of them. Still working on that.)