Thursday, April 22, 2010

counting my blessings

During Beth's first 13 months, I wasn't a regular at church services.  We used to take our babies to church faithfully, but because that rarely entailed listening to a sermon, by the time our fourth came along, we were so over the notion that church was for babies too.  We could care less what people thought of our spirituality in this regard.  (Walk a day in our shoes, if you want to judge.)  So, husband attended church with three children, while I stayed home to give the baby her nap (which happened to fall right at church time, no matter what I tried).

Now, at 16 months, her nap still falls right at church time, but she falls apart less when we have to get her down late. So I volunteered at the nursery and began taking her faithfully two weeks ago.  They don't have enough help to make her stay there fully safe, so I still haven't been to a sermon.  Since the girls are ultimately my (our) responsibility, I feel obliged to continue to be a regular in the nursery until God puts more volunteers in there.

What do I have to show for my regular church attendance?  Nothing but a bad cold, which so far has hit Beth and myself, with the other three beginning to show symptoms earlier tonight.  I'm sure it was church nursery germs, since Beth fell ill first.  She hasn't been anywhere else this last week.  (Don't get me wrong, I do love working in the nursery--children still delight me to no end.  It's a blessing to be there.)

Having a nursing baby with a cold is no small problem.  It entails sleeping in weird, upright positions, to facilitate nursing for a baby whose nose is full of copious mucous.  I hate colds......positively dread them.  I get depressed as soon as I see her nose begin running, for I know what is coming--little sleep, that blue sucky-bulb thing up a screaming baby's nose, a trashed house, snot everywhere, whining, and days that feel like marathons, because I'm sick as well.

Instead of falling further into self-pity, I'm going to count some blessings:

- rich green grass everywhere

- brilliantly colored tulips

- green leaves and blossoms on trees

- an eight year old with a heart for helping

- homeschooling

- a baby who still nurses

- God-loving children

- a six year old who loves cuddling

- a baby who enjoys learning new words

- a happy baby (except for her cold symptoms)

- a Christian husband (not perfect, but focused on heavenly matters)

- a three year old who still asks semi-regularly, "Can I be in your arms?" (Thank you, God!)

- berries

- chocolate

- black bean soup and cornbread

- cinnamon/sugar toast

- surrogate grandparents who seem to love us (I praise you God for finally answering this prayer.....no small miracle!)

- a renewed love for Scripture

- Connie, Sandi, Paula, Margie, Liz, Steph, Arwen, Terri/Trevor, Terri Tiffany, Jess, Carolyn

- a dining room

- a play room

- a big yard

- a house payment that's still up to date

- hot running water

- a dishwasher, washer/dryer, heater

- fridge and cupboards full of food

- soft beds

- enough clean clothes

- a working vehicle ( even if the muffler is going bad)

- no cancer, no diabetes, no heart disease

- inner peace, even in the midst of trial

Good night, friends!  Forgive my sob story above.


Colossians 3:15-17 

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

3 comments:

Sandi said...

Hope you feel better soon, friend.

Margie said...

Hope you feel better soon! I have to say, I have not blogged because I am in the same boat. I have a nasty cold, but am praising God that the kids don't have it yet. Plus to update...my hubby is on a plane flying home as I type! Hopefully when he recovers from jetlag he will be willing to take care me for a bit.

Evenspor said...

I hear you. Baby's had a stuffy nose at night at our house too (I think it's the changing weather). We've spent a lot of time in the easy chair the last couple of nights. Not a lot of sleeping going on.