Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What's an Xbox?

I lifted the yellow sentences below from an article on The Pioneer Woman's Homeschool blog.  One of the perks of being poor?  Our media is limited, compared to others.  We have two computers and two TV's and two basic cell phones (in place of land phone).  The second computer was recently acquired secondhand for my husband's computer class work.  Without cable, the TV's are of limited use (videos/DVDs).

Entertainment – Reading is a form of entertainment in our home. Our kids are limited in the amount of time they can allot to movies, the Xbox or Wii, computers and their DSi’s. We have television, but we don’t have cable, so the only shows we get are what we rent (Netflix) or download (AppleTV).

I don't even know what these are:  Xbox, Wii, Dsi's.  I know nothing about renting Netflix and I've never heard of Apple TV.  I have enough trouble limiting our collective computer use!  I don't need any extras, so I consider our ignorance a blessing.

Screens powerfully addict, like the worst kind of street drug.  We need to diligently preserve our dear relationships, while using screen time to our advantage.  Personally, I notice when I have enough outside fellowship, I could care less about being on the computer.  Makes me wonder if I'm more lonely than I realize?    Homemakers from decades past interacted more with neighborhood women, and moved away from extended family less often.

Life has changed so much, no?  Do you have a neighbor from whom you can borrow a cup of sugar?  I suppose we do, although she'd wonder what I was doing at her front door.
_________

"Mom!  The weird homeschooling lady from next door is here!  With the four kids."

"She is?  What does she want?"

"A cup of sugar."

"A cup of sugar!"
________

Still, people of all eras struggled with something.  Balance is the key lesson for every generation.

Anyhow, back to our limited electronics.  Being able to take the kids to a restaurant would be nice, but I'm glad for comparative simplicity.

I had to put the decluttering of toys and clothes on hold to prepare for my sister-in-law's visit.  Time to get back to the task.

This concludes my procrastination-related media use for this evening.

Sleep tight, friends!







1 comment:

Margie said...

You are too cute! Yes, be glad that you do not know what those game machines are. We have one and the kids both have hand held game systems which are wonderful for our long road trips down south. That being said, I do limit their computer usage/video game to 1 hour per day. I find, especially in my son, that behavior deteriorates dramatically when given free reign of the gaming systems. My husband is primarily a fan of these which is why we have them.