Friday, April 9, 2010

Proverbs

Lately I've realized how beneficial the Book of Proverbs is for children, compared to some of the harder-to-understand books of the Bible.  It makes for a nice read aloud at meal times.  I find it beneficial to type out verses, so here goes.

Here is what I read this morning, which reminded me of the hard work of Kingdom parenting, and the extent to which the Lord takes over and protects, if we are only willing:

Proverbs 2:1-9
"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.  For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.  He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.  Then you will understand what is right and just and fair--every good path.  For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.  Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you."

And more:

Proverbs 3:1-2
"My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity."

And more:

Proverbs 3:21-24
"My son, preserve sound judgement and discernment, do not let them out of your sight:  they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck.  Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble;  

And more:

Proverbs 3:33-35
"The Lord's curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the righteous.  He mocks proud mockers but gives grace to the humble.  The wise inherit honor, but fools he holds up to shame."

I especially like one of the last lines, about God giving grace to the humble.  When we admit we are weak, and repent (humble ourselves), grace comes to us.  I can't expect grace to flow freely, in my parenting or in any other area of my life.  It flows out of my repentant heart.

So, it isn't about being perfect.  Not at all.  It's about being humble and repentant, and continually seeking the high road.
___________________
Sandy, thank you!  I so enjoy exchanging ideas with you!  You sharpen me.  And I loved what you wrote on Joy's post.  Does that mean we spend too much time reading blogs, when we keep running across each other's comments?  LOL

2 comments:

Sandi said...

We love proverbs too.

I think we just read in similar places. I went through my google reader yesterday and pared down my reading a bit. I have my staples that i visit and then when I have time explore new places.

I do have to be careful with my time. When things are stressful here I tend to hide by reading online....not good.

Christine said...

I was just joking! :) We both have active toddlers ransacking the house, leaving little time to waste pre-bedtime. Plus, most blogs take less than two minutes to read.